Four rounds at Dell, and knowing when to ask
| Company | Dell Technologies |
|---|---|
| Team | Office of the CTO (OCTO), AI Dev |
| Role | Software Engineer Graduate Co-op |
| Location | Massachusetts, an hour's drive from Boston. Virtual loop |
| Date | March 2025 |
| How it started | Cold application |
| Rounds | 4 |
| Outcome | Offer. Accepted, for Fall 2025 |
The second offer on this site, after Adobe. The two are connected: Adobe is the reason this loop nearly did not work, and the way it was handled is the reason it did.
The loop
| Round | What it was | Format | Self Rating |
|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | Meet and greet with the hiring leader, an engineering director. 30 minutes | Behavioural. My resume, my experience, and what I wanted to work on | Strong Hire / Hire |
| 2 | Problem solving. First half of a 90 minute session with two engineers | One LeetCode easy, sliding window | Strong Hire / Hire |
| 3 | Test-driven design. Second half of the same session | Low-level design of a hash map, built test-first | Strong Hire / Hire |
| 4 | Offer call | The recruiter, with the feedback and then the offer |
The design round
Rounds 2 and 3 were one 90 minute session with two engineers. The first half was a LeetCode easy, a sliding window. The second was a hash map, designed at the class level, with the tests written before the code they test. No trick, no pattern to recognise. It is the round in my log that looks most like the actual job.
The question I held back
Between the first round and the final session I got the Adobe offer: a summer internship ending on Friday 15 August. Dell’s co-op would have overlapped it. The only way to do both was to start at Dell on Monday the 18th, which meant asking a team that had not yet decided whether it wanted me to change its plans for me.
I wrote to the recruiter before the final round and asked whether the team could be flexible. Her advice was to hold the question. Teams sometimes adjust the term for a candidate they really want, she said, so the move was to do the final interview first, let them decide I was their top choice, and only then raise the dates. Raised before the interview, the same request might have coloured how they saw me in it.
So I did the final session without it hanging over the conversation, the offer came, and then the dates were discussed. The team agreed. I finished at Adobe on the Friday and the co-op ran from August to December.
It is also worth saying that this was a recruiter actively on my side. Set it against the Amazon loop, where the recruiter stopped replying, or Bloomberg, where my feedback never got an answer.
🥹 If this helped, a like means a lot.